Regency Narrow Fall Breeches

The second thing on my man’s wardrobe list was a pair of breeches. Again, they were 90% finished back in February, but have been waiting on the last few buttonholes for completion.

I used the Laughing Moon Mercantile Pattern #127, and mostly followed the instructions as closely as I could.

The back of the first mock up of the breeches. Made according to size 38 as given in the measurements, but a size 42 waistband.

The back of the first mock up of the breeches. Made according to size 38 as given in the measurements, but a size 42 waistband.

Mockup #2 of the breeches. Better. Now too big. Try again...

Mockup #2 of the breeches. Better. Now too big. Try again…

Pinned together...

Pinned together…

Starting the sewing process.

Starting the sewing process.

Beginning to look like breeches!

Beginning to look like breeches!

First try on. Not perfect, but pretty good for my first attempt.

First try on. Not perfect, but pretty good for my first attempt.

Back. I think it's a bit too loose here...

Back. I think it’s a bit too loose here…

Buttons! The fabric I used was so much thicker than recommended for the self cover buttons that they were very difficult to put together.

Buttons! The fabric I used was so much thicker than recommended for the self cover buttons that they were very difficult to put together.

Hand stitched buttonholes

Hand stitched buttonholes

Buttons in buttonholes. It's a good feeling when they fit.

Buttons in buttonholes. It’s a good feeling when they fit.

Closeup of two buttonholes You can see the difference between them. I'm calling it 'authentic'.

Closeup of two buttonholes You can see the difference between them. I’m calling it ‘authentic’.

Breeches finished - Modelled by SO

Breeches finished – Modelled by SO

Breeches finished - side - Modelled by SO

Breeches finished – side – Modelled by SO

Breeches finished - back - Modelled by SO

Breeches finished – back – Modelled by SO. Unfortunately you can’t see the buckle at centre back that cinches it tighter.

Although the photos say that the breeches are finished, there’s actually a very little more to do – he will need a few buttonholes on the leg openings just to hold them closed. When they’re in his boots, you can’t see it, but better to have a finished piece. There may also be buttons attached at the top of the waistband for a pair of suspenders. If we can get the suspenders working…

I know that they aren’t perfect, and I know there’s a couple of fitting issues, but I am so very happy with them for my first attempt at tailoring something, and my first attempt at anything complicated. I have been told that the breeches are the most complicated I could make, and I’ve started with them. The rest must go well 😉

This entry was posted in 1790s, JAFA, Menswear and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *