I actually did this back in March, but things were frantic before the Jane Austen Festival, and illness and other distractions have meant I haven’t caught up with blogging!
I made the dress last year, for the workshop Beverley Eikli and I presented for the Romance Writers of Australia conference. However, there were a few issues with it. To start with, I put the sleeves in the wrong way around. Yep, stupid mistake. The other main issues though was that the straight-cut wrap skirt in the front, with all the fullness in the centre back, did not work for my pear-shaped body, and the wrap panel pulled way across. I really do need some flare birth control from underbust to (wide) hips.
Fortunately, I had some material left over, so I cut some flared side panels and added them to the skirt on each side, between the front and back pieces (obviously.) While this added only a few inches at the waist – countered by gathering the back some more – it gave more inches over my tum and hips, and has resulted in a much better drape and look for the skirt:
It’s still not perfect but it’s much better than it was, and it was done in time for me to wear at the Jane Austen Festival – although I didn’t get any photos of me wearing it there.